The Lavrar o Mar Cooperativa Cultural CRL. was founded in 2014 under the name COSANOSTRA Cooperativa Cultural, which has meanwhile changed to its current name. Its mission focuses on the development of artistic and cultural projects in Portugal. We focus on the practice of contemporary performing arts and how they relate to different social contexts, territories and cultural realities. Our cultural programmes take on different shapes, dimensions and durations. The cooperative has worked mainly in Portugal, but also in Australia, Italy and Cape Verde.
Our activity can be summarized by:
- Artistic creations and productions in theatre, dance, music, new circus, often establishing interdisciplinary bridges;
- Performing arts research;
- Cultural programming;
- Music and literature editing;
- Artistic direction of festivals, theatre seasons and diverse cultural programmes;
- Development of concepts and implementation of community artistic-educational projects.
At this moment, our work focuses on a rural area, with low population density, in southwestern Portugal, in Aljezur, Monchique, Odemira and Santiago do Cacém. The aim is to ensure a high quality cultural activity, which acts in depth, in order to develop a regular and long-term cultural dynamic. We work with a young team of professionals who chose to leave their urban lifestyles and come to work on the construction of this cooperative. Giacomo Scalisi and Madalena Victorino are the artistic directors of Lavrar o Mar cooperative.